- Mark Swartz quoted in Chicago Mag.com on the decline of affordable housing in Chicago (08/01/12) – “nearly 17,000 Chicago apartment buildings went into foreclosure from 2009 to 2011. That adds up to 51, 792 apartments.” – Dennis Rodkin
- 2011 Foreclosure Report featured in the Chicago Tribune (07/24/12) - ”Every affordable housing unit is valuable, and we can’t lose another unit,” said Mark Swartz, the committee’s legal director. “We should be creating more rental units, not losing the ones we have.”
- Do you have questions about renters’ rights? (WBEZ) – Rebecca McDannald from Metropolitan Tenants Organization teams up with LCBH Legal Director Mark Swartz to take calls and answer: What are your legal rights as a renter in the Chicago area, and how can renters exercise those rights?
- Mark Swartz honored by Illinois Legal Advocate Online – LCBH Attorney Mark Swartz selected as Legal Aid Advocate of the Month (video)
- Supportive Services Director John Paul Beals quoted in the Chicago Tribune (11/15/11) – “Cook County to have apartment shortage through 2020, report says” – Mary Ellen Podmolik
- New York Times op-ed “Tipping the Scales in Housing Court” – Harvard professor, Matthew Desmond, wrote a great op-ed on the issue of poverty, eviction, and access to legal representation. Well worth a read. (Dec. 2012)
- “Representing Low-Income Tenants in Eviction Court” – This training covers the basics of landlord-tenant law and procedure as well as providing an overview of how volunteers can get involved in pro bono activities through LCBH (2009)
- “Protecting the Rights of Tenants Living in Buildings in Foreclsoure During and After the Foreclosure Process” - Mark Swartz and Allyson Gould of LCBH present an overview of our 2009 Report “Chicago Apartment Building Foreclosures: Impact on Tenants.” (2010)
Other LCBH Videos
- “Going to Daley Center Eviction Court” - a resource for tenants and landlords going to eviction court
- “Assisting Low-Income Tenants in Eviction Proceedings: Part One” (broken link)
- “Assisting Low-Income Tenants in Eviction Proceedings: Part Two” (broken link)
- “Americans with Disabilities Act and Housing Rights for the Disabled”
LCBH can facilitate any media inquiries on issues relating to both LCBH projects and areas of housing expertise.
Cheryl L. Lawrence