Jobs and Internships
Thank you for visiting the Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) Web Site and for considering the LCBH as your Employer of Choice. LCBH aggressively recruits professionals who are dedicated to public service. LCBH Human Resources is responsible for recruiting these skilled experts and strives to enhance the work environment for all employees.
Due to considerable response, not all applicants can be invited to interview. Every effort is made to contact applicants selected for an interview within 30 – 45 days of the job notice date. However, if we have not contacted you for an interview within this time frame, your resume will be retained on file for six months.
We appreciate your interest in working for LCBH.
Development Director - updated 1/14/13
Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) seeks an experienced, talented, mission-driven professional for the position of Development Director. LCBH is a leading non-profit law firm serving Chicago renters for more than 30 years. LCBH offers a collegial work environment, generous benefits, the opportunity to be involved in public interest work and to make a lasting contribution in the Chicago community. The ideal candidate will be organized, collaborative, adept at working with a relational database and coordinating with a variety of people, messages and audiences.
Position Overview and Primary Responsibilities
The Director of Development works closely with the Executive Director to develop a sustainable financial plan for the organization with a $1,400,000 budget and is responsible for the overall management and direction of the development department. The Development Director will be a member of the Management Team, staff the Board of Directors Fund Raising Committee, and coordinate with the Young Professionals Board.
Development Strategy and Planning
- Serve as a key senior leader in the organization and support the Director to create the strategies and infrastructure necessary to fulfill the agency’s potential for significant organizational and revenue growth.
- Develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan to maintain existing support and broaden the base of support with foundations, individual donors, law firms and other sources of support.
- Work with Executive Director, Board fundraising committee, and Finance Director to determine annual work plan to achieve overall revenue goals.
- Attend Board meetings and set meetings with the Board fundraising committee and the LCBH Young Professionals’ Board to plan and execute fundraising activities.
- Assist in identifying organizational and project-specific needs and research funding potential and new opportunities.
Grant Proposal Development /Grant and Contract Management
- Assume major responsibility for all grant writing efforts. Supervise Development Associate/Grant Writer.
- Liaise with funders on proposed or current grants.
- Manage current grant and contract obligations, reporting requirements and reporting formats and templates and collaborate with key agency staff to ensure those obligations and reporting requirements are met on time.
- Oversee database of current and prospective funders.
- Maintain accurate grant and reporting calendar.
Other Fundraising Responsibilities
- Oversee individual donor fundraising campaigns, increase donor base, and maintain donor relations.
- Manage accurate maintenance of records and donor base in development database.
- Manage two annual LCBH fundraising events and others as they may arise.
- Collaborate with Pro Bono Coordinator to develop unique volunteer engagement opportunities.
- Oversee initiatives to raise funds from sources such as fee-for-service, government grants and contracts, individual gifts and bequeaths, and other strategies.
- Represent LCBH in appropriate community and networking events.
- Produce and manage content of e-newsletters, website, social media, press releases, media alerts and coordinate publication of content with Communications Director.
- Develop and oversee publication of annual report.
Required Skills and Experience
- A multi-year track record of senior-level success leading and securing resource development for non-profit organizations.
- The ability to work collaboratively with senior team leaders and communications program staff to maintain existing funding support and identify and facilitate new funding and revenue opportunities for LCBH.
- Strategic thinker who can build consensus across a diverse organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree or beyond, JD preferred
- 5 years of development experience and at least 3 years of management experience. Familiarity with fundraising and development in the legal sector a plus.
- Experience in and knowledge of national non-profit federal and state advocacy also a plus.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Includes competitive benefits.
How to apply: Please send resume, writing sample, references, salary expectations and a thoughtful cover letter to Mark Bonham, Director of Finance and Human Resources, at email@example.com.
LCBH has internship opportunities for undergraduate students and fellowship opportunities for graduate students interested in learning about nonprofits and affordable housing. Our internship and graduate fellowship opportunities are offered in the legal, supportive service, and development departments and give our volunteers an intensive hands-on experience.
- If you are interested in an internship or graduate fellowship opportunity with our legal and or paralegal department please contact our Pro- Bono Coordinator- Samira Nazem at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are interested in an internship or graduate fellowship opportunity with our supportive services department please contact our Coordinator-John-Paul Beals at email@example.com.
- If you are interested in an intership or graduate fellowship opportunity with our development department please contact our Development department at firstname.lastname@example.org