This brochure provides an overview of renters' rights and responsibilities for Illinois renters (not in Chicago) living in a foreclosed building.
Chicago renters should view our Chicago version of the brochure.
Foreclosure doesn't mean, "Get Out Now!" Renters have rights.
If you are renting an apartment, house, or condo that is in foreclosure...
You have the right to:
- Live in a safe apartment with utilities.
- Be notified in writing if your landlord or building’s management changes.
- Receive written notice if you are asked to move.
- Get your eviction court records sealed (made confidential).
- Recover your security deposit.
You may also have the right to:
- Stay until your lease ends.
You also have responsibilities:
- Continue to pay your rent.